Monday, September 29, 2014

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day


Wrong!

You've always been told since you were a little kid you have to eat breakfast, its the most important meal if the day. You heave been told by countless people starting with your parents, your doctor, nutritionists, supposed ‘experts’ on television, and even the trainers at the gym ,If you skip breakfast it will make you gain weight or skipping breakfast will cause you to overeat later on and you won't have the energy to make it through the day without eating breakfast.  It gets worse for people who are overweight and want to start trying to lose weight. The first thing people will say is get your diet in check. And that means, eating a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner with healthy snacks in between. For many people this might actually end up adding more calories to their diet!

Eating breakfast or very early in your day  isn't going to jump-start your metabolism or make you more awake and alert or productive. Breakfast will not make you any significantly better or more competent at your daily tasks. Your body is designed with survival as one of its top priorities. Its not going to let you die from skipping one meal. Not eating one or two or even any meals for an entire day isn't going to affect your ability to function. You can trust me, I fast for almost 20 hours every single day and I have done 24 hour fasts multiple times without any adverse effects even right up to the final hour of the fast. Your body will tap into its reserved fat storage and convert them into energy to keep you going.

Eating food has the effect of causing a temporary spike in blood sugar levels. This spike coupled with having to lug around that big breakfast waiting for it to digest can actually make you feel like you just want to go back to bed after breakfast. I've gotten accustomed to skipping breakfast for a couple years now because I prefer to sleep to the last second before I jump out of bed and get going with my day. If you're like me and you are busy as a bee from the time you open your eyes in the morning then why not try out Intermittent Fasting and don't bother with the breakfast anymore. Try waiting a couple hours before you eat. Slowly try and make it until lunchtime and then eventually you can stretch it to a full 16 hours without eating.

I'm about to embark on a journey, a complete lifestyle change. I plant to start practicing something called Intermittent Fasting.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed that when I eat, I feel really tired / sleepy soon after, I think because all my energy goes toward digestion

    ReplyDelete